…And if you’re thinking of visiting the city of Edinburgh during January 2010 here are some of our top ideas for things to do :
- Try some winter walking. There are beautiful cobbled streets to amble along in the city itself…or try a bracing walk up Arther’s Seat for spectacular views of the city below. The accommodation available at www.edinburghselfcatering.org is within close reach of Arthur’s Seat and offers stunning views of this ancient impressive mountain from the living room.
- Go and see Peter Pan on now until 03 Jan 10 – The classic story of Peter Pan comes to life in this festive family show – Royal Lyceum Theatre, Grindlay Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9AX – www.lyceum.org.uk
- Take part in the Great Winter Run on 09 Jan 10 – It’s a 5K run around Holyrood Park – Arthur’s Seat, Holyrood Park Road, Edinburgh EH16 5BT – www.greatrun.org
- Why not see We Will Rock You on until 09 Jan 10 – A glittering musical written by Ben Elton and featuring the classic songs of legendary band Queen – Edinburgh Playhouse, 18–22 Greenside Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3AA – www.edinburghplayhouse.org.uk
- Take a look around the BP Portrait Award (12 Dec 09 – 21 Feb 10) – This year the Dean Gallery puts on the popular contemporary portrait exhibition of 56 finalists, due to the temporary closure of the Portrait Gallery – Dean Gallery, 73 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3DS – www.nationalgalleries.org. From intimate and personal images of friends and family to revealing portraits of celebrity sitters, this exhibition presents a variety of styles and approaches that illustrate the vitality of contemporary portrait painting.
- See Robinson Crusoe & The Caribbean Pirates on until 17 Jan 10 – The King’s Theatre festive pantomime, fun for all the family – King’s Theatre, 2 Leven Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9LQ – www.eft.co.uk